Home | About OFA | Genealogy | Activities | Membership | Members Section |Gifts |

 

April 2008 - Volume 25 Number 3

Memorials to Emmett and Vinton Ostrander - Hurley Heritage Society Heritage Walk

Mark Ostrander - Page 1 -(double click on bottom right corner of article to expand to regular size).

Mark Ostrander - Page 2 -(double click on bottom right corner of article to expand to regular size).

Mark Ostrander Winner Chicago, IL local Soap Box Derby - Picture Link

Don Richard Ostrander - BB#35541 - Willem Branch - Picture Link
Don Richard Ostrander, Head of NASA's Launch Vehicle Program in NASA Headquarters with Dr. Von Braun (right), are shown in this photograph looking at a model of a Saturn launch complex about 1960.

Raymond Ostrander Smith - BB#13561 - Hendrick Branch, b 4 Nov 1873 New York City. New information to BB - died 1933 - no location. Designer with the Bureau of Engraving and Printing from 1887 - 1902. Mother - Rachel Mackinson Ostrander, Father - Daniel J. Smith, G-Father - Simon Alsdorf Ostrander

Syracuse Stamp Club Link
Syracuse, NY - 1st Postage Stamp. When Raymond Ostrander Smith sat down with AP Yates' photo of Engine 999, he probably had no idea that he was creating Syracuse's first postage stamp. A photograph, taken by a Syracusan just outside his native city, showing a soon-to-be legendary locomotive designed to service that city, setting out memorializing Syracuse, New York on postage.


1901: Ostrander Smith Bison design based on Pablo, a sketch by Charles Knight. The famous United States Note featuring portraits of Meriwether Lewis on the left, William Clark on the right, and Black Diamond, an American Bison, was issued. This United States Note was the only one to mention the legal provision that authorized its issuance. The reverse featured an allegorical figure representing Columbia between two Roman-styled pillars.


Ostrander F.B. Co. No. 1 G. Raritan River - Picture Link
This brick was recovered from the boiler room of a silk mill in Wilkes Barre, PA, which was built in the late 1800s. The silk mill was most recently known as Lee Textile and closed in the 1970s.